Come the fall, the youth program switches focus from road to cyclocross.
Cyclocross involves riding on a variety of different terrains including pavement, wooded trails, grass, uphills, downhills, twists, turns and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carrying the bike while navigating an obstruction and remounting. Think of it as steeple chase with occasional bouts of mud and smiles all around.
- To provide a safe, fun and friendly introduction to the sport of cyclocross to OBC youth members.
- To continue to build cycling skills including balance, braking, acceleration and endurance that have been developed in the OBC spring/summer road program.
- To introduce cyclocross-specific skills including dismounting, mounting, approach to barriers/obstacles, and riding different types of terrain.
- To support advanced youth riders, demonstrating an interest and commitment to cyclocross, through additional training support and coaching support at regional, provincial, and national competitions as appropriate.
- Ages 8-11 (U12; year of birth 2009-2012): Thursdays 6:00-7:30pm and Sundays 9-11am; September 3 - October 8.
- Ages 12-18 (12+; year of birth 2002-2008): Wednesdays 6:00-7:30pm and Sundays 9-11am; September 2 - October 7.
- Various local parks including the Arboretum, Experimental Farm, Mooney's Bay, Vincent Massey Park and Britannia Beach Park.
- Ages 8-18 (year of birth 2002-2012)
- Training groups will be formed based on age and skill/ability level
- All Ages: $25 (plus HST)
- Bike: we recommend beginning on a mountain bike, or a road-style bike that can accept slightly wider tread tires. For experienced riders, moving to a cyclocross specific bike is the best option. Bikes must have functioning brakes.
- Sturdy running shoes or mountain bike shoes (clipless pedals for experienced advanced riders only).
- CSA-approved helmet.
- Cycling gloves.
- Water bottle and snack for all training sessions.
Training sessions are held in advance of and can be tied to the Eastern Ontario Cyclocross Series, a regularly scheduled youth/family friendly series of Sunday events taking place from late September through November that will be fully supported by trained and certified OBC coaches. Registration for the series is done separately.
For advanced youth riders, coaching support will be provided for provincial- and national-level events. Note: In light of current COVID-19 safety requirements, it has not yet been determined by the Ontario Cycling Association what fall cyclocross race opportunities will look like this season.
All riders (including any parents who accompany riders) must be members of the Ottawa Bicycle Club, and bring their membership cards with them at all registered events. Parents who are not riding with the program do not need to be an OBC member. Through a single online registration process you will purchase an OBC Membership, purchase an Ontario Cycling Association membership (citizen permit is usually the most appropriate option unless planning to race a great deal, in which case, a UCI license is best), and select and purchase the desired youth program option. If already registered for the summer road program, only the cyclocross fee is required as the Club and Ontario Cycling Association memberships remain applicable.
Registration Closed. Our Program is full for the 2020 Season!
For questions, please contact the Youth Program Director:E-mail