*Deferred from Tuesday, July 13, 2021, which was cancelled due to adverse weather forecast.
Swipe right for exciting #tuesdates ! We are back. The WTT resumes presence at the Sir George Etienne Cartier Parkway (SGEC), Tuesdays at six.
Who: OBC women and youth members. Are you looking to improve on your cycling skills? Then come and join us. You do not race against others but you only race against yourself, and the clock.
When: Tuesday, July 20, 2020 (and every Tuesday thereafter, likely ‘til September, TBC), starting at 6:00 pm (will adjust start time when the days become shorter). Participants/riders will be notified of their specific rider number and approximate start times, following online registration.
Where: Meet at the Aviation Museum parking lot (11 Aviation Parkway) for final instructions. Participants/riders will then be asked to bike towards the start line at the SGEC via the Aviation multi-use pathway. Total race distance will be approximately 9 kilometres.
How to register:
Watch out for our OBC weekly updates (published on Mondays), or the Club Events Calendar, where WTT registration links will be shared.
How will it work?
- There will be up to 3 waves of 10 riders with a 10 minute break between each wave (to manage volunteer capacity, we are capping registrations at 30).
- There will be 30 seconds between each rider within a wave.
- There will be no holder, but there will be support for count down at the start line. Start with a foot on the ground or do a track stand.
- There will be no drafting!
- Be aware of your surroundings: cars, people, animals, cracks on the road. Safety first!
- Watch out for the turnaround point at around 4.5 kilometers. It is situated just outside of a parking lot to your right. For markers, from a distance you will see a blue parking lot sign, then you will see an orange cone, and then you will see a cardboard sign with a turnaround arrow drawing. Check for safety, then make your turn.
- Important: As you approach the finish line, please call out your rider # twice, so that your time will be properly recorded.
Please respect gathering limits and distancing guidelines; let's keep the pre and post gathering to a minimum and help avoid a reputational risk for the club. For this reason, we will not announce the results at the end of the event and ask you to please check the results page on the OBC website before midnight.
***We will gift an OBC 50th anniversary cap, an OBC 50th anniversary mask and an OBC bidon/water bottle to the first twelve participants who complete three WTT events.
Meet your 2021 WTT volunteers!
- Jim Glover - start / finish line set up and support / timer
- Mick Kennish - start / finish line set up and support / timer
- Nic Dery - support at turnaround point; back up support for start / finish line set up / timer
- Michel Somogyi - photography
- Celia McInnis- data entry of results
- Nic Dery, or Erica Frank (WTT coordination support), or Emily Graves (WTT program lead), or other – at the turnaround point
- Linda Parsons – verification of OBC membership
OBC Event Cancellation Procedures
Decisions on cancelling an OBC event will occur in one of two ways:
- Where possible, to communicate a decision to members/program registrants 1.5 hours before a training session or event,
- Otherwise, a decision can also be made at the start of, or at any time during, a training session or event.
For purposes of the WTT, this decision will be made by 4:00 pm. If you do not hear from us by 4:30 (1.5 hours before the event start time of 6:00 p.m.), please only proceed to the venue if you still wish to participate. A decision can still be made at the venue.
Additional guidance for us in making the final decision: The Ontario Cycling Association, in their OCA lightning policy indicates this: “organizer/club representative and events will not be held during conditions of thunder and lightning, excessively high winds or in the unlikely event of a possible tornado.”
- “No outdoor activities will be initiated when thunder and/or lightning is present.”
- “Thirty minutes must pass from the last clap of thunder or flash of lightning”.
- “If lighting or thunder starts during an event, activities are to be stopped.”
Wednesday Women-only Wrides
We are also starting a Wednesday women-only wrides. Check us out, and help build and sustain it! We hope to see more women in our cycling programs, not only in the WTT but in this new pilot initiative!