The Ottawa Bicycle Club is one of the largest cycling clubs in Canada, with a long history of contributing to the development of young athletes. A key part of this success is our Youth Cycling Development Program. This program introduces younger riders (typically 5 to 16 years old) to cycling (road, track, and cyclocross) in a friendly and fun environment.
Our mission is to develop youth bicycle riding, racing, maintenance, and safety skills through a fun setting to build a lifelong passion for the sport.
- This is an inclusive program: This program is suitable for a wide range of cycling abilities and interests, from casual riding to racing. Athletes will develop their skills to a point where coaches will encourage participation in at least one race.
- We adhere to the National Coaching Certification Program Long Term Athlete Development principles and Cycling Canada Coaching Guidelines.
- We are cycling safety focused in order to protect our children and to develop responsible members of the cycling community.
Sessions for 2017
The OBC Youth Program offers learning events to support road cycling and cyclocross. We also encourage our riders to join us at one of the regular Track Cycling outings. Try each of the three cycling disciplines supported in order to develop an appreciation for the differences and to improve overall bike handling skills.
Please scroll to the bottom for Registration Information.
Youth Intro to Cyclocross
This fall event introduces kids to cyclocross, as well as a refresher for those experienced in the sport. This event is tied to the Eastern Ontario Cyclocross Series and registration for the series is done separately. Training is held prior to the start of the Eastern Ontario Series. This program is open for athletes aged 8 to 14.
- Ages 8 to 14.
- Two Sundays and Thursday evenings prior to the Eastern Ontario Cyclocross Series.
- Locations: Sunday September 10th (9am-11am) and Thursday September 14th (6pm-7:30pm), Britannia Beach Park - Baseball Diamond #2 Parking Lot. Sunday September 17th (9am-11am) and Thursday September 21st (6pm-7:30pm), Mooney's Bay Park - Terry Fox Athletic Centre Parking Lot.
- $10 before Sept 8th, $15 after (plus HST)
Piloted in 2016, OBC Youth Program athletes are invited to participate in monthly outings to regional velodromes in Bromont, Milton, or London. Supported by volunteer OBC Track Coaches, this program is open for athletes aged 10 to 16. Athletes need to be members of the Ottawa Bicycle Club to participate. For details, please contact Bill Bourne .
All riders (including parents who accompany riders) must be members of the Ottawa Bicycle Club, and bring their membership cards with them at all registered events. The online registration process includes:
- Purchase an OBC Membership, if not already done
- Purchase the OCA Membership, if not already done
- Complete the online registration form for each child
- Select the learning events desired for each child
- Confirm the OBC Privacy and Data Usage Consent
- Complete the OCA youth waiver and send it to the Ontario Cycling Association as instructed.
For questions, please contact Greg Douglas:E-mail