Calling All Route Marshals!
Route Marshals are respected riders who are the Ottawa Bicycle Club's (OBC) safety ambassadors to help keep the RLCT riders safe while on route. On the Tour weekend, safety is our number one priority and is critical to keeping a quality Tour. As such we need registered, experienced cyclists who can set a great example for our riders.
Route Marshal Responsibilities
Route Marshals act as safety ambassadors by sharing cycling advice and encouraging safe cycling behaviours. Route Marshals may also perform the role of Incident Responders at accident scenes along ride routes and identify unsafe cyclists to Tour officials.
In addition, Route Marshals are often asked to provide basic assistance to riders who may experience problems, such as flat tires, along the route.
Route Marshal Eligibility Requirements
The RLCT Committee is seeking safety-focused, experienced and enthusiastic riders to join the RLCT Marshal team. Eligibility requirements include:
- A passion for and knowledge about safe cycling, and willingness to work with all levels of cyclists to promote safe cycling.
- Current OBC membership.
- Riding experience and ability to complete the RLCT.
- Attendance at a Route Marshal training session at 170B Booth Street on May 23rd 7:00-9:00pm
NOTE: marshals who attended training by Guy Warwick in 2016 and/or 2017 are not required to attend the May 23rd session, but will be required to complete and pass an online training questionnaire currently under development.
- Be willing to work as a team to provide well distributed route coverage over the length and duration of the ride on each day.
- Access to a mobile phone for use during the RLCT.
- Carrying a First Aid kit and being prepared to provide basic First Aid. First Aid certification is an asset.
- Having a basic knowledge of bicycle repair and assisting cyclists with mechanical needs until a Support and Gear (SAG) team arrives.
Marshals are required to
- complete the online RLCT registration form
Route Marshals who meet the eligibility criteria may have their Tour registration fee reimbursed.
Marshals starting from Ottawa on Saturday may pickup their Tour Kit at Algonquin on the Friday before the tour (with bag drop-off Saturday morning).
NOTE: For marshals starting from Perth, your Tour Kit will be available in Perth at the check-out desk and not Friday in Ottawa.
Please volunteer through IVolunteer RLCT 2018.