Twenty cyclists from age 10 to 61 came on our trip to the Bromont velodrome July 9th for a day of track cycling. Everyone had a lot of fun while also developing their track cycling skills. Our 11 brand new track riders were given initiation training by Eric Van Den Eynde, who is also the Canadian national para-cycling team coach.
Our next trip to the velodrome at the Centre National Bromont, in Bromont Quebec is *Sunday July 30th*.
We also plan trips in August/September as follows:
- Friday August 11th
- Sunday August 20th
- Sunday August 27th
- Sunday Sept 10th
Please register by emailing Bill Bourne
Participants can attend as many or as few trips as they would like.
Each trip will be customised for the specific ages and abilities of the attendees.
Riders new to track cycling will have a 2-hour "Initiation" session, where they are taught to ride a fixed gear and are gradually introduced to riding on the velodrome.
Then for new riders, there will be basic skills training like we have done in previous sessions:
- Learning to ride all over the track
- Paceline riding
- Holding your line, passing, and riding safely with others on the track
- Other skills drills
Starting July 30th, we will be running more advanced skills training for experienced riders. The focus this session will be group riding skills for mass start racing. This will be lot's of fun, and beneficial to you whether you ever plan to race or not. We will cover:
- double paceline riding
- riding in a pack on the track
- team pursuit style exchanges
- attacking from a pack on the track
- scratch race, points race, and elimination race basic tactics and rules
The drills will be taken from the "Learn to Race" training at the Mattamy National Cycling Centre. The objectives are:
- keep people who are getting more experienced in track cycling challenged and engaged
- have fun while making people better riders
- prepare those youth (well adults too!) that are interested in it for the Quebec and Ontario track development races
To attend these sessions, you need to be:
- Age 11 or older
- Youth should be at the equivalent of L2T or T2T from the OBC Youth Development program. Adults should be at an experienced road rider … OBC Touring 2 level and up.
- You don’t need any fixed gear riding experience. Training for brand new track riders will be included in the program.
- You don't need a track bike, the Centre National has bikes available.
The cost for the day is:
- 15 for experienced riders with their own track bike
- $30 for experienced riders who are renting a bike
- $45 for new riders … this covers a 2 hour initiation session from a Bromont coach, the track bike rental, and access to the track for the day